Burning in Shasta County


For burn day status in Shasta County, please call (530) 224-8777.  For additional information visit Shasta County Air Quality Management at:



Only residents of single and two-family dwellings are permitted to burn dry vegetation from the yard. Open burning for landclearing projects, fire hazard reduction, agricultural burning, or prescribed burning is allowed with the required permits.


You may burn ONLY dried vegetation (NO GARBAGE, PAPER, CARDBOARD, PROCESSED LUMBER, CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS, ETC). Basically if it grew on your property you can burn it. The California Air Resources Board has adopted a state-wide prohibition on the use of burn barrels and the burning of paper and cardboard. That became effective on January 1, 2004, except in the following census zip code areas: Big Bend (96011), Castella (96017), Old Station (96071), Platina (96076), Round Mountain (96084), and Whiskeytown (96095). Burning leaves or lawn clippings is not recommended due to the high moisture content and acrid smoke which may cause a public nuisance. The burning of any material that causes a public nuisance is prohibited. Air drying of green vegetation is required prior to burning and is based on the largest diameter of the branch or trunk being burned.


If you are outside the city limits and/or fire districts of Redding, Anderson, Cottonwood, Buckeye, and Shasta Lake you will need a burn permit for any burning larger than 4' X 4' piles.
For burning 4' X 4' or smaller piles of dried vegetation, a burn permit is required during declared fire season, typically from June to November but always dependent on conditions. During peak fire season all burning will be suspended regardless of a permit. Once fire season is declared closed, no permit is required for burning dry vegetation, in 4' X 4' or smaller piles on permissive burn days. CAL FIRE does not charge fees for any burn permits.

If you are burning material associated with property being developed for commercial or residential purposes, or material associated with brush clearance for fire hazard reduction, you must have all material free of stumps and dirt and obtain a burn permit from the Shasta County Air Quality Management District (AQMD). Burn permit fees must be paid to the AQMD in accordance with Rule 2:11; Fees, and an AQMD inspection may be conducted to verify the absence of stumps and dirt in any piles formed for burning. Refer to attachment for applicable fees.

If you are doing agricultural burning, you must obtain a burn permit and pay the applicable District burn permit fees to the AQMD. Prescribed burning (Wildland Vegetation Management, Range Improvement, or Forest Management) greater than 10 acres or that would produce more than 1 ton of particulate matter emissions, requires that a Smoke Management Plan be filed with the District in addition to payment of the burn permit fees to the AQMD.

If you are inside the city limits and/or fire districts of Redding, Anderson, Cottonwood, Buckeye, and Shasta Lake, burn permits and additional information may be obtained by calling or visiting the appropriate fire department. A fee may be required by some districts.


Burning is authorized only on "Permissive Burn Days" which are designated by the Shasta County AQMD. Determination is based on atmospheric temperatures, pressures, and wind conditions. If sufficient dispersion is forecast, a day is designated "permissive burn." When weather conditions are unfavourable, a "no burn" notice is issued. The recorded burn day information (224-8777) reflects the current designation. During those times of the year when all burning is suspended due to high fire danger, typically peak fire season, no residential burning is authorized.

Once CAL FIRE lifts any burn suspension (a news release will be issued), burning will be allowed above 1,000 feet elevation, and between November 1st and April 30th burning will be allowed at all elevations on permissive burn days. The burning hours for 4' X 4' or smaller piles is 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM below 1,000 feet elevation. Above 1,000 feet elevation the burn hours are 10:00 AM – Midnight. The burn hours are shorter in the lower elevations due to the typical winter evening inversions which restrict smoke dispersal.



  • Call the AQMD burn day information number before burning.
  • Scrape a clearance of at least 10 feet to bare soil around any burn piles.
  • Always have a shovel and water supply nearby.
  • Burn only clean, dry vegetative waste such as leaves, pine needles, and yard clippings.
  • Never leave the burn pile unattended.
  • Avoid burning on windy days. The wind can spread embers causing an escaped fire.
  • Piles should be no larger than four feet in diameter and four feet high.
  • Break larger piles down, and add to the pile as it burns down


The following are burning permit requirements:

For burning debris in small 4-feet x 4-feet piles:

Maximum pile size is 4 feet in diameter.

Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10-feet of the outer edge of pile.

Keep a water supply close to the burning site.

An adult should be in attendance with a shovel until the fire is out.

No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions (particularly wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.


No household trash or garbage can be burned outdoors at residences. Dry, natural vegetation, grown on the property can still be burned outdoors in open piles, unless prohibited by local ordinances. Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. Burn permits are only valid on "Permissive Burn Days" as determined by the State Air Resources Board or the local Air Pollution Control District (APCD).

Violations Of Any Burning Permit Terms Are A Violation Of State Law
(Public Resources Code 4421, 4422, 4423 And 4425)


Safe Home Heating



Questions About the SRA Fee?


Burn Information